Thursday, December 8, 2011

Soup, Sleep and Scotch...

So I don't have very much time to post today so I figured I would make it short and sweet.  & since it is Thursday, I figured I would make it short, sweet and split into three: 

Three Things Thursday -->

1.  Last night I adapted the Mushroom Millet soup recipe that I made a couple of weeks ago.  It was already very good but I really liked it with the changes.  And - it is such a super easy recipe!  Here is the recipe (again, adapted from the above link):

Spicy Mushroom Quinoa Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 20 oz fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 bag frozen diced onions
  • 1 diced red onion 
  • 3 large handfuls fresh spinach (about 4 cups?)
  • 2 TB garlic, minced
  • 7.5 cups water
  • 2 TB vegetable bouillion (I used chicken flavored so I'm sure chicken bouillion or broth would work)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 TB sriracha
  • 2 TB Bragg's Amino Acids (Could substitute with low sodium soy sauce)
1. Boil 2 cups water with pinch of salt.
2.  Add 1 cup quinoa and bring back to boil.
3.  Boil on medium heat for 12 minutes until all water absorbed.
4.  Remove from heat, fluff and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium-low heat, spray Pam and combine frozen onions, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Sautee for about 10 minutes until transparent, stirring frequently. Add sliced mushrooms and spinach and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes until most of the water cooks off.
6. Stir in water, along with seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, veggie bouillon, Bragg's, sriracha).  Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
7.  Scoop half of the mixture into a blender and blend until almost smooth (but still a bit chunky). Add back into the pot.
8. Stir in cooked quinoa.
9.  Serve! 

I think the sriracha gives it a nice kick and the spinach adds some more veggies.  If you like mushrooms, definitely try this soup!

2.  I have been super tired today.  And I really hate drinking coffee after noon because it is harder for me to fall asleep at night.  So I just have to tough it out.  Stay.Open.Eyes!

Love that Boo!

3.  Last night, Brent and I were planning on having some wine with dinner...but somehow our wine bottle opener has gone missing!  We have no idea where it could have gone and I am sure that we will find it while we are packing everything up but it's still very wierd. 

On normal nights, our go to drink is a little bit of scotch on the rocks but of course, we just ran out the other day.  So all I could find in the cabinet was a bottle of Jim Beam.  Needless to say, it was Jim Beam on the rocks with a splash of water as my nightcap. 

Wasn't actually all that bad :)  I may become an occasional Jim Beam drinker.

Maybe I'll even have a glass tonight...while we watch REVENGE!!  (By far, favorite new show of this season!  Soo good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment